There are many shorts in the Vintage 1946 collection you might consider essential, but when you need to pack light for a vacation carry-on bag, you may have to narrow your choices a bit. This is summer vacation, after all. There’s no need to get bogged down by a giant wardrobe and expensive luggage—especially if you know the three pairs of shorts you absolutely must take with you.
The “Formal” Shorts
We’ll admit it. There may be an upper limit of “formality” a pair of shorts can bring to an outfit. It will always be more formal to wear a pair of, say, military twill pants, simply because they cover more of your body. But some shorts are made more formal than others, especially these:
- Classic Vintage Twill 9” Shorts. The nine inch shorts are the longest available at Vintage. Why long shorts specifically? We’re keeping with the general rule that the more of your skin you cover, the more formal your clothes will be. You can get away with Vintage Twill shorts in a fine restaurant. Snappers? Not so much.
- Seersucker Shorts. Formality is about more than length. It’s also about appearance. Seersucker is a great summer “hack” for staying cool while looking a touch dressier than those around you. Pair any one of these seersucker shorts with a button-down shirt and you’ll be restaurant-ready.
Formal shorts are best for dining events, family reunions, and even some religious services. If you plan to vacation for a longer period, you will definitely end up needing them.
The “Versatile” Shorts
Although the formal shorts listed above will give you plenty of versatility for casual situations, some shorts can do it all. These are the shorts that really save you on luggage space, because you can pack just one or two instead of three or four pairs.
- Reversible Shorts. It doesn’t get more versatile than being able to remove your shorts, turn them inside out, and wear them as a completely new pair.
- Sahara Twill Flat Front Shorts. Although they lack the transformative abilities of the reversible shorts, these shorts are casual and versatile enough to fit in just about anywhere.
Versatile shorts work in a variety of situations, from beach volleyball to lounging around the hotel. That’s why they’re a must-have for any summer vacation.
The “Beach” Shorts
You can get away with packing just the shorts above and a pair of swimming trunks. But this is vacation we’re talking about. Sometimes you have to cut loose and enjoy yourself—and that means dressing the part.
- Snappers. These are short enough to give your legs plenty of breeze on the hottest days and available in a variety of patterns and bright summer colors. You might consider these the quintessential summer shorts.
- Plaids & Prints. Of course, you might also consider these the quintessential summer shorts, and we won’t stop you. They’re alive with colors, prints, patterns, and add a lot of fun to your outfit no matter what you’re wearing up top.
Select your favorite pair of shorts from each of these three categories, and you’ll have enough versatility in your vacation wardrobe to look great and mix up your style, even though you’ve packed light.