When you wear a pair of shorts, you rightly want them to look good and to fit well. But let’s not forget one of the most important characteristics any article of clothing has to have: performance. We’ve put together a list of tips and specific recommendations for men’s performance golf shorts that can help you enjoy an active summer in comfort and style.
Shopping For High Performance Shorts
First, let’s define what we mean by men’s performance shorts. What should you look for in a short that performs? We have a few tips that should help shed light on this question:
- Look for elastic waists. The elastic waist helps ensure a proper fit every time—without the aid of a belt. Belts, while handy, can also become restrictive when it comes to outdoor activities like golf.
- Read up on fabrics. Polyester is a high-performance fabric, as is spandex. Many high-performance shorts will incorporate both to create a durable, flexible material that allows for plenty of movement. The durability of polyester aids in the regular use of these shorts as well.
- Think about pockets. A pocket made out of pure cloth isn’t always high-performing. Your MP3 player or smart phone might easily fall out. Mesh pockets, on the other hand, offer some texture that “grabs hold” of the materials in your pocket, allowing you more activity without worrying about your valuables spilling out onto the ground.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of our top men’s performance golf shorts in the Vintage 1946 collection!
Vintage 1946 Performance Golf Shorts
Given what you’ve learned above, what are your best options? Here are a few favorite picks from our catalog:
- Windjammer Hybrid In Navy. This is a textbook example of what a high-performance pair of shorts should be able to accomplish: elastic waist, mesh pockets, scalloped leg openings and a polyester-spandex combination that makes the shorts as durable and breathable as they are flexible. But they also one-up the usual “performance shorts” with a fashionable appearance that would look good enough for casual outings all summer long.
- Stretch Snappers. When performance is about getting out of your legs’ way, there are few shorts better to turn to than our Stretch Snappers. These “short shorts” give you plenty of leg room for running, hiking, and of course golf. They also make great accompaniments for packing, as they won’t take up much room in the suitcase, and they’re easy to change into.
- Vintage Seersucker. If you want a high-performing button-up when it comes to handling the heat, there are few better options than seersucker. The puckered texture of seersucker keeps the shorts off your skin—which means more room for air to move freely.
Want more options for high-performing vintage style? Be sure to browse the full collection here at Vintage 1946.