We’ve all been there. You walk into a new venue, eager to socialize and make a great impression, only to find that everyone else seems to have received some “dress code” memo that eluded you. You feel like every eye on the room is on you—whether it’s your imagination or not. Put quite simply, you’re underdressed. How did this happen? More importantly, how might you dress in the future so you never feel underdressed again? At Vintage 1946 have a few ideas and recommendations for wearing classic men’s clothing to handle just about any situation with the appropriate amount of style.
Pick Out a Few Versatile Basics First
If you feel habitually underdressed, it’s fair to say that you’re new to this “style” thing. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But we do recommend that you start with a few basics before you spice up the wardrobe.
Here are a few classic men’s clothing selections from Vintage 1946 that will serve as your new styling foundation:
- Oxford Washed Gingham Navy Shirt. Thanks to the bright mix of navy and white, there aren’t too many items that won’t go with a shirt like this. It pairs well with khakis, shorts, jeans—just about anything you can throw at it.
- Classic Vintage Twill in Stone. This light color of khaki pants is great for the summer, yet you’ll have no problem breaking a fashion rule and wearing it after Labor Day, either. Pair it with just about any top you can think of—a sweater, a woven shirt, a button down—and you’ll rarely feel underdressed.
- Khaki 7” Snappers. You can’t very well have a versatile wardrobe without a good pair of shorts. Even though it’s possible to wear shorts somewhere and feel underdressed, this is the pair you want to wear if you must wear shorts. They’re cool, light, functional, and will pair well with a high range of tops and shoes.
Once you’ve got the basics down, it helps to know a few helpful men’s styling rules.
Styling With Classic Men’s Clothing
If you never want to be caught underdressed, the key is to wear a versatile outfit that will look dressed-up… without looking overdressed. It’s a fine line to walk, to be sure, but with a few rules of thumb, you can dress with confidence:
- Pair colors that complement. The fastest way to look underdressed? Pairing two clashing patterns together. You can wear a suit if you want—but if it looks dated and outrageous, chances are it will still look underdressed compared to a good pair of khakis and a solid button-down shirt.
- When in doubt, stick to the basics. Colors like khaki, white, navy, grey, and black are the most versatile options here. If you’re not sure what the dress code will be, you’ll do fine wearing most items in appropriate colors.
- Don’t be afraid to overdress. As a rule of thumb, it’s better to look over-dressed. So err on the side of dressing a little “smart” for the occasion. It shows respect for the event and will often draw compliments.
Find More Great Options At Vintage 1946
Of course, there’s a lot more to learn about the art of classic men’s clothing style. Fill out your wardrobe with great pieces by shopping around Vintage 1946 today!